Yard Waste Program
Fayetteville offers weekly curbside yard waste collection to residents in single family homes.
View our Yard Waste Brochure (PDF).
- Yard waste, recycling and household trash are all collected on the same day.
- Materials collected include grass clippings, leaves, and brush.
- All yard waste must be placed within 6 feet of the curb. Place yard waste at least 3 feet from your trash cart.
- If a street has a sidewalk adjacent to the curb, place yard waste at the back of the sidewalk to avoid impending access on the sidewalk.
- All grass clippings and leaves must be bagged in compostable brown paper yard waste bags (available at local grocery and home improvement stores). Yard waste can also be placed in a non-city trash can visibly marked as "Yard Waste".
- No plastic, please! Plastic bags, either black bags or degradable plastic bags, will not be collected due to operational concerns.
- All brush must be bundled and tied and not greater than 4 feet in length. No limb shall be greater than 5 inches in diameter.
- Trash cans may not be larger than 35-gallons with a detachable lid.
- Paper bags, tied bundles, and yard waste cans shall not weigh more than 50 pounds.
- No bag of yard waste shall contain dirt, trash, rocks, flower pots, etc.
- All yard waste and brush must be placed at the curb for collection by 5 a.m.
- This program is limited to the residential sector and does not include commercial accounts, or residents who use dumpsters or apartments.
Collected yard waste is processed at the city’s Composting and Mulch Facility. Brush will be ground to produce mulch (wood chips) and grass and leaves will be combined to produce a high quality compost.
The Compost site is open to the public and residents may bring their yard waste to the city’s Composting and Mulch Facility.
Learn about purchasing mulch.
Learn more about purchasing finished compost.
Compost at Home!
Though the City does not collect food waste from residents, we encourage all citizens to participate in backyard composting. Learn how on our Yard Waste Brochure (PDF).