Volunteers & Unpaid Internships
Volunteer Opportunities with the City
We have opportunities throughout the year for every type of interest, experience, skill level, and various time commitments, from a few hours on a single project to serving on a board or committee that requires several hours per month, and lots in between. If you don't see something that interests you please email the Communications Department. We can often find an opportunity to suit your interests.
City Departments that have an ongoing need for volunteers include:
- Animal Services - Volunteering with Fayetteville Animal Services is a rewarding experience. Volunteer opportunities include dog walking, cat socialization, photography, foster care, bathing and grooming animals, adoption advising, foster care, and more!
- City Boards, Committees, and Commissions - Fayetteville citizen boards, committees, and commissions consist of mostly volunteer citizens who are devoted to giving their time and expertise on issues relating to each board, committee, or commission. Vacancies are advertised and appointments are made quarterly. Citizen appointments made by the Nominating Committee members must be a resident within the city limits of Fayetteville and be a Fayetteville registered voter.
- Parks and Recreation Department - Volunteers are essential to helping maintain the plentiful trails, parks, gardens, and recreational programs in the City of Fayetteville. Volunteers provide invaluable assistance through various activities, including invasive plant removal and habitat restoration projects, litter cleanups along streams, coaching, and by being out the trails to assist people in need.
- Volunteer at the Yvonne Richardson Center: The YRCC offers many programs and many opportunities for volunteers ages 14 and up. The Center posts all of their volunteer needs on GivePulse.com. You can log in with your university email, facebook account, or email address.
- Join a Community Garden: There are several city-sponsored Community Gardens in the City, or you can start your own.
Internships with the City of Fayetteville
Some City departments regularly use interns to help with daily operations. Others work with interns on a project-by-project basis. Current internship openings are listed below. If you would like to discuss other possible internships with the City, please contact the Community Engagement Manager by email.
Department of Sustainability Fall 2019 Internships
The Fayetteville Department of Sustainability is seeking undergraduate students who are passionate about sustainability and interested in having an opportunity to work directly with city staff as Fall 2019 Interns. Competitive candidates will display some background education regarding sustainability, demonstrate a high level of motivation to assist the city in pursuing sustainable goals, and exhibit enthusiasm when presented with challenging tasks. This specific experience will provide interns with the opportunity to contribute meaningful work to the City of Fayetteville’s Department of Sustainability through the primary initiatives of: Research, Data Reporting, and Community Outreach. To view full description and requirements, click here.
Interested students should send a copy of their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Volunteer in the Community
Many organizations post their volunteer needs on GivePulse.com. There are a wide variety of opportunities available here for many non-profit and charitable organizations across the city and the region.
The University of Arkansas provides a central hub for over 180 non-profit agencies and organizations in Northwest Arkansas to list their service projects. You can search by interests such as animals, kids, environmental, or one-time projects. As an individual you can log your service hours and keep track of all the projects you have been involved with. Organizations are encouraged to register with the Center to post opportunities and reach a large audience of willing volunteers.
Fayetteville Public Schools Volunteer Opportunities